St. Martin of Tours - Valley City, Ohio

The History of St. Martin of Tours Valley City
1822 - 1900 - 2000

1905



1909-
1937

May 1905 Church after stormStorm (lightning & wind) damages church and threatens lives of 4 people, on May 6 at 8 p.m.

Rev. Julius Kitter was also a civic leader for both Liverpool township and Medina county. He had many accomplishments; including stone roads, a new central school and electricity for the area. Power was to be brought from Brunswick, but World War I interfered. St. Martin's constructed its own small plant that was used until power was brought from Grafton, in 1928.

1929

Rev. Jerome Rohner

1931

School was closed. (Enrollment was never large.)

1930's

Annual Chicken Dinners began

1937-1956

Rev. John C. Schaefer

Photo Taken October 31, 1937

1956-1964

Rev. John F. Gruss

1957

Rectory is expanded with an office and housekeepers quarters.

1961

100th Anniversary - the church's interior completely renovated.

1964-1966

Rev. Thomas Sullivan

1965

Parish Activities Center and Parish School of Religion was built. 
(1849 original building and boiler house torn down.)

1966-1967

Rev. Martin E. Cummings

1968-1974

Rev. Paul V. Summers

1974-1986

Rev. Francis Botzman

1986 - present

Rev. Thomas R. Dunphy (St. Martin's current Pastor)

1986

125th Anniversary for the 1861 church, 
Carved Wood Historical Board was placed in front

1989

Complete restoration of the church exterior and interior began. 
It took 1 year for completion. Major work included - all wood was stripped and stained, fresco paintings restored.

1993

Land (7 acres) purchased to the north for future parish expansion.

1994

Life Teen program is launched for High School Teens

1995

Cemetery - - Walkway around 1/2 acre pond 
(Stations of the Cross, Mysteries of the Rosary)

1995

Granite Altar is erected by the lake 
(It is inscribed with names of all priests that have served here.)

1996

Twenty feet tall white axed granite cross is erected

1997

Pavers installed as walkway to the cross

1998

Parish Pastoral Council reorganized, RCIA and RCIC programs established. Parking lot was resurfaced

1998

Deacon James Petrus very helpful, until his untimely death.